Friday, May 30, 2014

Bourbon Barrel Aged Coffee Oatmeal Stout - Zwei

I was alerted to a 15 gallon used Bourbon Barrel from Journeyman Distillery (thanks Jen Mackey) and was lucky enough to grab one.  Beings Founders KBS is my favorite BBA Stout I decided to brew a big Coffee Oatmeal Stout and fill the barrel.




Beings I don't have the capacity to brew 15 gallons at once I brewed 2 8 gallon batches of identical stout.  I have brewed this particular Imperial Stout before just without the coffee and it came out great.  I added 3oz of freshly ground coffee to the wort at flame out to each batch, then added another 1/2 gallon of cold brewed coffee to the barrel after both batches have finished fermenting to up the coffee flavor.  I keep the barrel plugged till I was ready to fill it and it smelled amazing once I started transferring the beer into the barrel.  After losses to trub and an unexpected foam over 2 8 gallon batches filled the barrel completely.

I plan on tasting it a couple times a month till I am happy with the amount of oak and bourbon flavor in the final beer.  I am planning on it being finished by Halloween if possible.  BTW the name Zwei came from the German word for '2' meaning the barrels second use.  Subsequent batches from the barrel will follow the tradition.  Hopefully I can get a few 'clean' ferments before it gets moved over to sour production.


BBA Coffee Oatmeal Stout - Zwei - Brewed 4-24-14

Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 8
Total Grain (Lbs): 25.5lbs
Anticipated OG: 1.08
Anticipated SRM: 37
Anticipated IBU: 60
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 minutes

Grain
------
82.5% - 21 lbs Pale Malt
7.2% - 1 lb 13oz Oats
3.9% - 1lb Chocolate Malt
2.7% - 11oz - Roasted Barley
2.0% - 8oz - Black Malt
1.7% - 7oz - C120


Hops
------
2oz Nugget ( 13AA ) Boiled for 60 min
1oz Mt. Hood (6AA) Boiled for 30 min
1oz Mt. Hood (6AA) at Flameout

Extras
-------
3oz ground coffee at flameout
1/2 gallon cold brewed coffee added after fermentation

Yeast
-----
WLP005 British Ale 

Mash Schedule
----------------
Sacch Rest 60 min @ 156F

Mash Out 10 mins @ 168

Notes
------------------

Transferred both 8 gallon batches to the bourbon barrel on 5-17-14


No comments:

Post a Comment