Saturday, August 24, 2013

Yeast Slanting

When I first started brewing I used a new package of yeast for each brew, whether it be Wyeast, White Labs or dry yeast.  I didn't take me long to start researching re-using yeast to try and save money.
 I then started washing yeast and saving it in the fridge in mason jars.  While this worked fine I found myself constantly messing with the yeast and having the fridge full of mason jars.  I then read this thread on homebrewtalk and it  looked like exactly what I was looking for.  For the last couple years I have been slanting my yeast and have been able to store a large amount of different strains within a relatively small area.

I also have had good results slanting yeast from commercial dregs.  I recently collected yeast from a bottle of Jolly Pumpkin La Roja 2012 that I slanted and sent one of them to Bootleg Biology for them to research and re-use if they wish.  I am excited to hear their results and try some of the yeast they currently have on hand.

It then is a pretty easy process to select the strain I would like to use and propagate it up to a usable size.

Yeast Slant ready to use


Small amount of pressure canned wort added to slant.  I let this sit until I see activity, usually 24 hours.


That small amount of liquid is then added to a 250ml flask with more pressure canned wort and put on the stir plate until high krausen.


High krausen, 24 hours later


I then add this to a 1000ml flask and let it rip till I am ready to brew.  If necessary I will then step it up one more time to 2000ml.




1 comment:

  1. Kind of like a wacky science experiment with a cool by product... I really enjoy reading about your process but enjoy sampling even more!

    ReplyDelete